11 Things To Know Before Publishing Your Book
• Who is going to edit and proofread the work?
• Who am I trying to sell this to?
• Where are they?
• How can I reach them?
• Get paperbacks printed: look into short runs and print on demand but make sure you use a quality printer, bad quality print can put people off before they have even opened it.
• Get an ebook, professionally formatted in both .MOBI (Amazon) and .ePub versions
• Get a properly designed cover, so many self-published works are let down by bad or unprofessional cover design
• Get an ISBN
• Get the publication into proper distribution channels
• Price it competitively
• Get active online pre-publication: generate some interest and a following for yourself, your writing and your opinions
Points to bear in mind:
• Self-publishing is a serious alternative to traditional publishing.
• There is no single way to self-publish. There are many good strategies from e-books to self-publishing services.
• Right now, academia is still skeptical. In most areas, don’t rely on self-publishing for promotion and career development. Wait until your mainstream credentials are established, then self-publish.
• Success relies on self-promotion; use blogs, Facebook, and face-to-face.
• Always get feedback and editing.