How to Build and Strengthen Your Brand as an Author
Admit or not, every profession is being judged and evaluated by others. People would see your work, your relevance and the value you offer by what you share where it’s intentional or unintentional. This is why celebrities are very careful of their own personal branding, and why authors even though usually behind the camera are gaining attention because of their works.
From your blog posts, social media updates, interviews and author collaborations… all of those add to the bigger picture of who you are and what you can bring to the table. And as your reach, influence, and visibility increases, so does the number of people that form an impression about you.
The Foundation of Branding
When it comes to the core of your branda as an author, there are two key areas that you need to focus on: brand identity and brand awareness.
The first step is to clearly define your brand identity and your purpose. Just like in basketball, when you hear Michael Jordan, what do you recall? A movie star? A great dancer? None of those, right? The only thing you would think of is that he is a great basketball player. So, coming back to our topic, do you want to known as a great romance novel writer, or something else? That is what you need to think about.
Next is brand identity, this is about the visuals, do you want to have a standard font or a logo perhaps? Do you want specific colors in your cover books? Or some styles in graphic elements? This is practically the same for companies that have established their own branding like Nike or Apple, every Nike and Apple stores you go anywhere in the world, you would notice that they have similar designs and feel to it.
Other materials for brand identity are the oldie-but-goodie calling cards that has your name to it, they’re old school but still effective. Oh, and don’t forget the website, this is one of the most important thing to establish and strengthen your brand as an author.
Once your branding is set and other brand elements are defined, the next move is to develop your plan to promote and solidify your name in the eyes of the readers.
– How are going to grab your reader’s attention or pique their curiosity?
– Who are the people who needs to know about your books?
Here are some aspects to creating more awareness for your author brand:
- Goals – everything you write should be a step closer to your goals. You have to know where you’re taking your readers, and then create goals and objectives that would make people to action or buy a copy of your book.
- Promotion – are you going to advertise online? on Facebook? speaking events? Whatever avenue you take, you need to capitalize on each platform’s strengths and limitations to share the different aspects of your story.
- Evolve – as you get to be known more and more, your readers also grow up and you need to evolve. It’s pretty much like music. When Spice Girls or NSYNC were famous, they were targeting teenagers to consume their music, but now, Justin Timberlake, the most famous member of NSYNC is also doing collaborations in hip hop and RnB – because that’s where the trend is.
If done correctly, this would not only skyrocket your career as an author but would also get you raving fans and financial success.
If you think we missed anything or would like to share your experience in your own personal branding, let us know.